INDIATOP STORIES

B’luru hospital issues clarification over missing watch of deceased patient (Lead)

Bengaluru, May 22 (IANS) Responding to allegations that a luxury Rado wristwatch worth Rs 1.80 lakh and a half-sleeve sweater belonging to deceased social worker K. Ramaiah went missing while he was undergoing treatment at the hospital earlier this year, Fortis Hospital, Nagarbhavi, on Friday issued a clarification refuting the charges.

The clarification came after Ramaiah’s daughter, Anita Ramaiah, released a video appealing for the return of her father’s wristwatch, saying the item carried immense emotional value and was among the last memories she had of him.

The Govindarajanagar police have registered an FIR under Section 303(2) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) against unknown persons and launched an investigation into the alleged theft.

In its statement, Fortis Hospital, Nagarbhavi, expressed condolences to the family of late K. Ramaiah and stated that it had reviewed the matter internally and shared all available information with both the family and the police authorities.

According to the hospital, no concern regarding missing valuables was raised by the family at the time the body was handed over on January 15, 2026.

“The formal communication regarding the alleged missing watch and half-sleeve sweater was received over two months later, on April 24, 2026, by which time the CCTV footage was no longer available in line with the hospital’s standard 30-day data retention policy,” the statement said.

The hospital further stated that despite the delay in reporting the matter, it conducted internal checks, verified all available records and shared relevant details with the investigating authorities.

Fortis Hospital also noted that Ramaiah had reportedly visited another healthcare facility before being brought to Fortis Hospital, Nagarbhavi.

“The matter is currently being reviewed by the police authorities, and the hospital continues to extend full cooperation. At present, there is no pending information or action from the hospital’s end,” the statement added.

The hospital further cautioned against “speculative or unverified allegations”, stating that such claims could be defamatory in nature.

Earlier, Anita Ramaiah alleged in her complaint that her father had suddenly collapsed on January 15 following severe health complications and was shifted to Fortis Hospital after another private hospital allegedly refused to administer first aid.

She stated that her father had been wearing a Rado wristwatch and a half-sleeve sweater at the time. However, after doctors declared him dead, the family allegedly discovered that both items were missing.

In a video released on Friday, Anita said she had approached both the hospital and the police multiple times seeking an enquiry and access to CCTV footage.

“I am just hoping that I get back my dad’s wristwatch. It is not about the cost, it is about the memories. I am still unable to come out of the shock of my father’s death,” she said.

Police said further investigation into the allegations was underway.

–IANS

mka/pgh