
Bihar: Chirag Paswan attacks Congress, calls for dialogue on reservation

Patna, Aug 22 (IANS) Union Minister Chirag Paswan on Saturday launched a multi‑pronged political attack, targeting the Congress over the Vande Mataram controversy, questioning RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav’s support for street protests, and calling for dialogue on the ongoing reservation‑related demonstrations.
Speaking to the media in Patna, Chirag accused the Congress of repeatedly raising issues in Parliament that, he said, disrupted proceedings and diverted attention from other important matters.
He alleged that the opposition had kept the Vande Mataram issue alive during the Monsoon Session instead of allowing Parliament to function normally.
Chirag also questioned Tejashwi Yadav’s decision to visit and support protesting students and youth at their demonstration site.
He said the Leader of the Opposition carried greater responsibility and argued that issues being raised on the streets should have been strongly raised inside the Assembly when it was in session.
He added that as part of the government, he considered it his responsibility to ensure concerns that fail to reach the administration are brought before it. In his view, Tejashwi could have used the Assembly more effectively to raise the protesters’ demands.
On the protest over reservation at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar, Chirag adopted a relatively conciliatory position. He acknowledged that protesting is a democratic right but stressed that reservation is a sensitive subject and misunderstandings surrounding it could create apprehension and trigger wider public anger. He suggested that protesters should clearly communicate their demands to the government so that authorities can respond and explain their position.
Reports said more than 50 people associated with the reservation protest were detained after gathering at Jantar Mantar. Police reportedly said they had granted permission for the demonstration at Ramlila Maidan, but protesters assembled at Jantar Mantar instead.
Chirag also referred to the 10 per cent reservation for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS), pointing out that reservation based on economic criteria is already in place.
On rising sugar prices, Chirag acknowledged that the issue concerned the government. He said discussions were underway to bring prices under control and attributed the increase partly to lower‑than‑expected sugar production.
He described the price rise as a temporary situation and said the Centre had already taken several measures to address the issue.
–IANS
ajk/dan
